- Accounts and users
- Direct Messages
- Publisher tools & SDKs
- Twitter for Websites
- Developer utilities
- API reference index
You need to generate an access token and token secret if you would like to do the following:
- Your application only needs to make requests on behalf of a single user (for example, establishing a connection to the Streaming API).
- You wish to test API functionality from a single account before building out the 3-Legged OAuth flow.
To generate your access token and secret, you must have a Twitter app.
- If you already have a Twitter app and have either applied or been approved for a developer account, you can manage your app via the developer portal. You will also be able to manage your apps via apps.twitter.com for now, but eventually we will require an approved developer account for all app management. You can read more about this in our blog post.
- If you need to create a Twitter app, you must do so through the developer portal with an approved developer account
Generating access tokens
Follow the below steps to generate access tokens for an existing app:
- Login to the developer portal on this site (must have applied or have been approved) or apps.twitter.com using your Twitter credentials.
- Open the Twitter app for which you would like to generate access tokens.
- Navigate to the "Keys and Tokens" page.
- Select 'Create' under the "Access token & access token secret" section.